BMW has followed up the M1 homage concept with a daring green and mean concept car. In one go, this concept – the Vision EfficientDynamics – concept vaults BMW straight into both the supercar and green vehicle categories in a single leap.
i do hope that this car makes it into production as the images are hot.
source of images and news from BMW Blog –
For decades, BMW has made the reduction of emissions and fuel consumption a key part of its product development strategy, just as enhancements to the dynamic ability of each BMW have been a lasting, sustained brand value. BMW’s EfficientDynamics engineering philosophy – the pursuit of an enhanced, athletic driving experience while simultaneously lowering the consumption and emissions of each vehicle – resulted in the most dramatic drop in fleet consumption of any automaker from 1990 through 2005, according to an Environmental Defense study.
Now, the BMW Vision concept car clearly demonstrates that the EfficientDynamics objectives are fully compatible when applied to a sports car. Conceived as a 2+2-seater with plug-in full-hybrid technology, this unique car combines the performance of a BMW M vehicle with a standard of fuel efficiency and emission management that exceeds even the current levels achieved by the latest small cars. This outstanding result is made possible by the combination of BMW ActiveHybrid components with an extremely economical combustion engine, and outstanding aerodynamic qualities.
* 2+2 seater
* Bird’s wings door
* Dimensions (length x width x height): 4.60 x 1.90 x 1.24 meters
* Combined power: 356 hp, 800 Nm(590 lb-ft) of torque
* 1.5 liter 3-cylinder turbodiesel engine placed at the rear of the car
* Diesel engine: 163 hp, 290 Nm(214 lb-ft) of torque
* Two electric engines, one near the front axle, one near the rear axle
* Electric-rear engine with constant 33 HP and a peak of 51 HP. Maximum torque 214 lb-ft
* Electric engine front axle with constant 80 HP. Extra power of 112 HP available for 30 seconds and for 10 seconds, 139 HP. Torque:162 lb-ft
* 4.8 seconds 0-100 km/h, limited 250 km/h (155 mph)
* DCT gearbox
* average 3,76 liter per 100 kilometer – 62.6MPG. CO2 99 gram per km
* Maximum Range: 690 kilometers – 428 miles
* Weight: 1.395 kg – 3,075 lbs
* Weight of the lithium-ion batteries: 85 kg – 187 lbs
* Charging time: Depending on the amperage between 44 minutes and 2.5 hours
* 3D HUD
* No Active Cooling Required